Thursday, April 26, 2007

Discombobulated

Just got back from yet another business trip and I'm trying desperately to regroup. God knows I love travel but my affection is waning. In the words of that great philosopher, Sting, I ask you, "Must I be (wo)man in a suitcase?"

Meanwhile, the photo demonstrates the most interesting thing about my Marriott hotel room in Santa Clara, CA. There I was, buttoning up my Corporate Uniform when I randomly looked up at the ceiling and came upon it, a little story just waiting to be told. I marveled at the incongruity - how exactly would a fire sprinkler and a wire hanger come together in such a dangerous way? I'm a sucker for forbidden love.

It tells me that some other biz traveler, hopelessly bored, thought about how he/she might liven things up a bit. Perhaps when it came time to shower, they pondered the usual routine and opted to (ahem) think outside the stall? Well, let this be a lesson to ya'll. (Whoa, I may need to launch a rap career on this ... )

So, I came across a quote the other day from the writer Ella Williams that I surely relate to: "Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."

This sums up my life quite nicely. Once again, I'm over-committed with work duties, creative projects and educational jaunts and it makes me wonder - just who the hell do I think I am? Apparently, I am 32 flavors and then some. No wonder I have no love life - where the hell would I put him? My suitcase?

Oi. I need to stay still for awhile and get settled in my life. Perhaps I need to be hosed down ... or maybe just an illicit sprinkling.

6 comments:

hotdrwife said...

I saw that same warning and thought the same thing while in DC.

Looking forward to seeing you this week! It's been too long.

Susie said...

So does this mean that all is well in the realm of employment? The continuing to travel for business? I hope so - you got to keep racking up those frequent flyer miles for vacation time baby.

Anonymous said...

Yo Ho,
The thing with the sprinkler is that some believe it is a great place to hang their suits, shirts, pants, etc... This often causes the sprinkler head to get damaged or come off, causing a "sprinkler flow". Yes, just like it sounds, H2O, non-stop. The fire department shows up, water to the whole area gets shut off,...a big pain in the tushie.
Miss you!
FO

Heather Clisby said...

Yes, I remain - amazingly - employed until further notice.

Thanks, Fo! This is why it is good to have a knowledgeable firewoman in one's life ... to 'splain.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, you do travel too much. It has it's benefits, I suppose, but it creates gaps where you want your love life to be.

A fleeting acquaintance traveling between jobs.

Anonymous said...

ani defranco reference.