Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Bea Arthur & Rock Hudson - Reunited


I've read all the great tributes to Bea Arthur, who passed away last Saturday at age 86. But I came across this on GoFugYourself and have decided I quite like the idea of Rock and Bea sipping cocktails in the afterlife and singing about pot, coke and heroin.

What I loved about Bea was how she always took people's assumptions of "a woman of a certain age" and turned that image on its head. As Maude, she played the first major television character to get an abortion - at age 47 - several months before it became legal in the U.S.

Bea Arthur was Golden. If you don't believe me, check out her portrayal of Carrie Bradshaw in this parody of "Sex in the City" - priceless.

4 comments:

Xa said...

HA! Yes, Bea, you can be a "classic" and still have it goin' on!

Thanks for sharing -- this is fantastic! Sally Strutheres is also pretty hysterical.

Xa said...

Ummm. or "Sally Struthers."

Lunchtime typing clearly doesn't have a spell check!

Heather Clisby said...

Yeah, Sally as Samantha Jones, Katherine Helmond as Miranda and Charlotte Rae as Charlotte. Genius.

hotdrwife said...

That Sex in the City piece was brilliant!! I loved her on Golden Girls - I was the true dork in HS and stayed home on those nights to watch the show with my family. We laaaaaughed and laughed.

Funny stuff. Funny lady.