Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Happy Birthay, Willie!

Here's a birthday salute to country music legend, Willie Nelson, who turns 75 today - and is now the same age as my mother. WEIRD.

Willie is famous for many things but among my favorites, he is the only person known to have smoked a J on the roof of the White House. He played a concert there in 1978, then accepted President Jimmy Carter’s invitation to stay the night. Before turning in, he wandered up to the roof to enjoy “a fat Austin torpedo.”

When asked about it these days, he insists, “My short-term memory is so bad I don’t remember that. I’ll check with Jimmy, see if he remembers.”

2 comments:

Mrs.X said...

What is so funny about him smoking on the roof of da House is that I didn't know about until I heard it on Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me. I don't know if I should be impressed with myself or disturbed.

Heather Clisby said...

Impressed, Mrs. X! IMPRESSED.