Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Bloomage

Though I endured an incredibly gnarly space-age dental procedure yesterday, I'd really rather focus on the positive - it's all the, er, rage in mental health circles.

SO, check out my neighborhood! It is bursting with color right now and I've nearly run my truck into telephone poles just 'ooohing' and 'aaaahing' over the bright pinks, deep reds and eye-popping yellows.

Please enjoy the colors while I try to describe my weekend: Beanie, my horse teacher, is driving me hard these days to get my cantering down. Lord knows I've got a lifetime to learn when it comes to riding horses but I feel like I may be getting somewhere. Beanie is very encouraging - happy to yell when I fuck up but also lets me know that I am improving.

On Saturday, as an April snow came down, we grabbed a couple of hard ciders and rode over to the neighbors for a visit - I felt very studly. Then, the 22-year-old ranch hand made a pass at me - I tried to lay out the math for him but he was not concerned with such logic. Good to know I still got it somehow, somewhere, even though I can never find it when I need it. Meanwhile, I've put in a request to my friends for a more seasoned fellow - say ages 40-55. I just don't have the patience to train 'em, y'know?

I mean, just look at this tree, wouldja? It's just sitting in someone's front yard, screaming "YELLOW! YELLOW! YELLOW!" to everyone that passes by. I love it.

Now then, where was I? Oh yes, the weekend. Then, later that day I met up with HDW & HDH who kindly took me along with them on their date. We had some fine grub at the Lowry Tavern (artichokes are an aphrodisiac, I'm convinced) and then we went to The Soiled Dove to see Karrin Allyson, an incredible singer I'd never heard of.

Karrin doesn't just sing, the music literally moves through her body and comes out her head and hands; it is mesmerizing. She is known for her jazz tunes and Brazilian melodies but she also did some great standards like, "Guilty" which I'd only seen done by John Belushi in The Blues Brothers. Plus, she's an adorable pixie and you can't take your eyes off of her. A major talent and I'd nearly missed her.

So, yes, I have learned to trust the artistic instincts of HDW, who always blows me away with her fantastic ear for quality music. I needed a Colorado music guide and when I heard her casually sing all the words to "I've Been Everywhere" - no small feat - I knew that I had found the right woman for the job.

Ahhhh, yes, ... springtime in Denver. It's especially lovely on Vicodin ...

On Sunday, I did some more cantering and there were a few times - at least five - where I had no control over the horse. SCARY. At least one of those times was heading straight up the side of a mountain. Ben was huffing and puffing, determined to do what I asked of him, even if he was out of shape.

But as long as we both keep trying - and bloomage happens - there is something to celebrate.

10 comments:

Dark Damian said...

Such pretty flowers!

And 22 isn't too young. Give a man a lay, and he'll take it without question. Teach a man to lay, and he'll give it to you without fail. Or something.

And...uh...what exactly is "cantering"? Black man here.

hotdrwife said...

Eh, skip the teaching part. I will keep my eyes peeled for someone in the ranching bid-niz who is in that age frame. My mom, albeit nuts, met her reallyreallyreallytoonice ranch husband through her hairdresser. So, you just never know. I'd think Colorado would be blooming with those bastards.

Heather Clisby said...

DD: Okay, you CRACK me up. I'm sorry, I should have explained. 'Cantering' is a style of riding that is somewhere between a trot and a gallop. It's fast - like I like it!

HDW: Thanks, doll! I could use a hand here.

Kath said...

Did someone say 22 year old?? :-)

Feel better soon, honey. And yeah...HDW knows her musical stuff!

Mrs.X said...

Beautiful pictures! Being in a warmer clime, I tend to take for granted when things start blooming. But, seeing it again through the eyes of Colorado, it's beautiful!

And, I say getting hit on by a 22-year-old is the same as being carded for booze. It's flattering, but quite useless - even when I was 22.

Good luck cantering. The one and only time I tried it scared the beejeezus out of me. Of course, I was like 9. Give Ben a smooch on his soft little nose.

Thanks also for reminding me that life is what you make it. I needed that right now.

Heather Clisby said...

Mrs. X: I LOVE getting responses from you - they are beautiful posts in their own right.

When you mentioned Ben's soft nose, it made my legs wiggle with affection. Awwwww!

Dark Damian said...

You're so turning me on, Cliz. Save a horse, ride a cowboy!

Did I mention I'm a cowboy?

Heather Clisby said...

DD: I'm sorry, but I'll need to see some identification. Or at least your chaps.

Dark Damian said...

That can so be arranged. Ask HDW about Halloween of '07. I have chaps.

Not kidding.

Heather Clisby said...

I'm not surprised, DD. Not surprised at all.