Saturday, October 23, 2010

Me Want Chickens

Although I am excited about moving to a co-housing community, it also means I have to put off my dream of having chickens for at least a year, unless I can convince them ...

In the meantime, we went on a Chicken Coop Tour in and around the Denver area. (Many thanks to Denver Urban Homesteading who organized the tour and the DUH's insane-in-a-good-way, James Bertini, who enjoys breaking the law as much as he loves being a lawyer.) We met so many beautiful birds and enthusiastic owners - it was inspiring. We also discovered how many different ways there are to house these fabulous feathered souls.

Some coops were just tiny dog houses and some were hi-tech pre-fab coops - not cheep - ha! In some backyards, the birds ran wildly around the backyard, taking dirt baths, foraging through garbage or whatever. While others had the corner of the garden perfectly spotless for the chickens and everything was obsessively organized.

My favorite might be James and Irina Bertini's old camper, formerly a favorite homeless hangout, now refashioned into a chicken hangout. Here's the back door:

And the inside:

And the whole kit and caboodle, which also includes a pen for geese:


 But everywhere we went, we found giggling kids who delighted in all things chicken. Besides all the fresh eggs - which are so much better than what you buy in the store - it's great for kids to know exactly where their food is coming from. Hell, it's better for adults too.

Ah, someday ....

7 comments:

Howard said...

Very cool! So happy for you two n

hotdrwife said...

You should come with me sometime to visit my bff in Evans. He has chickens galore and most will let you hold them and be loved on.

Unknown said...

i'm sure you've already seen "the natural history of the chicken," right?

it's an old fox family favorite, perhaps mixed up with our identification with the song, "the fox went out on a chilly night."

Heather Clisby said...

I have seen that movie! Ordered it online, like a true chix nerd.

Fang Bastardson said...

I can't say I understand the chicken thing.

Heather Clisby said...

I'd be shocked if you did, quite frankly.

Heidi's heart said...

My next-door neighbor Janet got four chickens about two months ago. They are about ready to lay. Nothing beats a fresh egg. Really looking forward to this.