Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Goodbye, San Francisco

It's done. Amazingly, the U-Haul is tightly packed with all my wordly posessions; with the loving help of friends, family and a couple of hard-working Mexicans, my entire life fit into one metal box.

Once it was all loaded, I couldn't help thinking, "Man, the whole thing could go over a cliff and it would be okay." Perhaps this is the early effects of my new relationship but going through all my useless stuff, I realize, it doesn't mean much and that less is definitely more.

Of course, it is a sparkling beautiful day here in San Francisco. Still, I will leave today without a look back. God knows, I love this town - who doesn't? - but my eyes need new scenery, my heart craves new challenges and I am so anxious to meet the new woman I will soon become.

In about 30 minutes, I will cross the Bay Bridge and I will thank the City, for hosting the last nine years of my life: Those moneyed days of the Dot Com Boom, the Devil-ettes, the horses, MUNI, helping lost tourists, Farmer's Market, the anti-war protests, Chinese New Year, our seasonal parties, falling asleep to the foghorn and best of all, my beloved Presidio. I was always so proud to say "San Francisco" when folks asked where I lived. Oh, their eyes would light up! They would swoon and always say the same thing, "Ohhhhh, I LOVE San Francisco!" I never tired of this reaction - made me so proud.

Undoubtedly, when I return for a visit, I will see it with a new pair of eyes, those of a tourist. Like running into an old love, you marvel that it was someone you once knew well but is now only an acquaintance. I'm sure The City will always hold a special place in my heart but I'm sure as hell not leaving it here.

1 comment:

Fang Bastardson said...

For the record, I'm The One Person who doesn't love San Francisco. My eyes have never lit up at the sound of its name except in the context of "What? You say we can get in the car now and leave San Francisco? Wahoo!"

But The Missus, Man Cub and I will definitely miss your trips out this way. The island won't be the same without you a stone's throw from it.