Friday, January 07, 2011

INVALID LOYALTY

Photo compliments of GasPumpGirls.
This phrase blinked at me the other day as I attempted to buy gas. Evidently, I had swiped the wrong card and the gas pump's mechanized payment system was in serious doubt about our relationship.

The thing is, the gas pump has every right to be concerned. I have been seeing other gas pumps for awhile now. Some because they smell better and some just for convenience. And yes, I'll admit, some just because they are cheaper. I'm not sure what is wrong with me but I feel no guilt. I mean, it's not like we ever discussed exclusivity in our relationship, y'know?

And the more I think about it, the more I resent having to defend my methods in meeting my own needs. Sometimes the void of my empty gas tank cries out for attention long past the 10 p.m. closing time of my primary pump. I need more.

And what of the other cars I see pulling in and out all day long? Are they being held to the same standards of loyalty as I? Exclusive my ass. I hear the scuttlebutt and that nozzle has likely been in tanks you only hear about on Jerry Springer.

Hmph.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this one

Diane Drake said...

Too funny! Better "invalid loyalty" to a gas pump than to a friend; I say you are forgiven! xo

Heidi's heart said...

Before I read the post, I thought the title meant something completely different, that one needs to be loyal to an invalid, someone who is physically challenged. I wish the Republican leadership felt quite a bit more invalid loyalty and weren't plotting to throw the disabled to the wolves.